Top Ten Tuesday is a fun weekly link-up in the community where the lovely ladies at The Broke and The Bookish provide a prompt and other lovers of list-making join in on it with their own top ten list. This week’s topic is:
Top Ten Things that Imstantly Make Me Want to Read a Book
1. A gorgeous cover. I know it’s fickle as can be, but I love a good cover and it instantly draws me to a book and makes me want to read it. This method was very successful with A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Gray, and now I think I’ll want to read anything she writes!
2. An intriguing blurb. Much less fickle than the cover, the blurb on the back on the book is huge. If the premise has me hooked it will go to the very top of my TBR.
3. Time travel. The Time Traveler’s Wife got me hooked. I ❤️ time travel stories. 2 of my all-time favourites fall in to this category.
4. Alternate dimensions/parallel universes/what would happen if X was different etc. Anything that’s got a Sliding Doors type theme will grab my attention immediately. I’m fascinated by the concept and will gobble up any books on this topic. Speaking of which I’m always looking for more – any recommendations?
5. Anything written by Melissa Brayden, Lauren Oliver, or Richelle Mead. I have loved anything I’ve ever read by these authors and I always want more! One of these names on a project is a guarantee I will read it.
7. Nerdy characters. In some ways I relate and in some ways I just think they’re fantastic. I love a good loveable dork! 🤓
8. Rave reviews from a fellow bookworm. If someone I trust (my wife, a friend, a book blogger with similar taste) says it’s good, I will definitely want to read it!
9. LGBTQ characters 🏳️🌈 The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli and All the Feels by Danita Stone did a great job of including diverse characters in a story in which the characters sexuality was not a main focus. I also love well written lesfic (see anything by Melissa Brayden).
What makes you instantly want to read a book?